How can Maria help?

Members of Parliament are elected to the House of Commons to represent the interests and concerns of all the people who live in their constituency, whether they voted for them at the General Election or not. ​

Maria is only able to deal with issues raised by people who live in her constituency, called constituents.​
To check if Maria is your MP, please click here

Maria splits her time between working in Parliament and working in Basingstoke. In Parliament, Maria spends her time fighting for the interests of her constituents, attending debates, scrutinising and voting on legislation, and attending meetings. In the constituency, Maria holds advice surgeries for constituents to come and talk to her about local issues and problems, attend meetings and community events, as well as visiting local organisations and businesses.​

For information about surgery appointments please contact Maria

Maria is able to help with all matters for which Parliament or central government is responsible, by writing to the relevant department/ official/ minister. Many problems are solved in this way.​

Alternatively, if a constituent is happy for the issue to be made public, Maria can ask an oral or written question, secure a debate or petition Parliament.​

Oral or written questions​

Once a month a minister from each government department answers questions from MPs at the Dispatch Box. There is a limit to the number of questions that can be asked. Maria can also table a written question to the relevant Government department, which are published in Hansard.​

Adjournment Debate​

MPs may be able to raise a constituent's issue in a half-hour Adjournment Debate. To get an adjournment debate, MPs must be successful in a ballot of Members of Parliament or have the subject chosen by the Speaker. The debates are usually the last business of the day and a government minister responds at the end of the debate.​


Maria can present a petition to Parliament on behalf of constituents. The format and wording of the petition need to be in a particular way. For more information or guidance, please contact:​

Clerk of Public Petitions​
Journal Office​
House of Commons​
SW1A 0AA​…

Maria does not have any jurisdiction over local Council decisions. However, she can write to the local Council and ask them to look into a problem or to reconsider an issue. In the first instance, constituents should contact their local Council or Councillor.​