5297 at risk in Basingstoke from silent killer

Maria Miller MP is urging Basingstoke residents to protect themselves against the deadly threat of Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning. 

5297 people in Basingstoke, and over 30 million people, across the country are at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning according to recent research from the Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign. The study found that nearly half the population does not have an audible carbon monoxide alarm and four in ten people have not had their gas boiler serviced in the last year.  

Carbon monoxide has no smell, colour or taste and the only way for people to protect themselves is by installing an audible alarm. Carbon monoxide can be produced by any fuel-burning appliance – such as a boiler and cooker- or an open fire which is faulty or doesn’t have adequate ventilation. 

Maria supported a call from the Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign to make 2016 the year everyone protects themselves from this silent killer. The campaign urges everyone to fit and maintain an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm and ensure all fuel-burning appliances are serviced annually by a registered and qualified engineer. 

Maria said:  “Carbon Monoxide kills by stealth as people can’t see, smell or taste it. Around 40 people die in Britain every year from CO poisoning and it is estimated 5297 in Basingstoke are at risk. 

That’s why I am supporting calls from the Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign to ensure every homeowner and tenant in Basingstoke is aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide and has a CO alarm.”

Lawrence Slade, Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! spokesperson, said: “Carbon Monoxide is a deadly gas and an audible CO alarm is the only way to protect yourself and your family. CO alarms are available at supermarkets, DIY stores high street shops or directly from energy suppliers. 

The Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign urges everyone to make 2016 the year there are no deaths from the silent killer. Two simple steps can save your life - just fit and maintain an audible CO alarm and have your fuel burning appliances serviced by a gas safety registered engineer.”