Basingstoke’s MP has applauded the work done by Age Concern Hampshire to ensure no older person or carer is left feeling alone or neglected in isolation during Covid19 outbreak.
As of March 23rd Age Concern Hampshire closed all centres to clients throughout the county in order to safeguard all stakeholders, beneficiaries, staff and volunteers from the Coronavirus.
Focusing on the demand for services received through the Information Line and Day Centre teams, Age Concern has developed services based on the needs of our community:
- Home visits for older people living alone to provide companionship.
- Home visits to sit with an older person with dementia or other condition to give their family members or primary carer a break from caring responsibilities
- Regular well-being calls for clients who would usually visit centres and services pre-COVID19.
- Virtual well-being group calls; a support network for carers where they can network with others in similar situations.
- Shopping and prescriptions deliveries for older people who are shielding.
- Befriending and Companionship calls for any older person who is feeling lonely in isolation with a friendly voice to interact with regularly.
- Attendance Allowance Form Filling in the Basingstoke and Deane district by Information and Advice Outreach Coordinator
Maria said “Quickly developing outreach services based on our local community’s needs meant that no older person or carer has been left feeling alone or neglected in isolation, preventing added pressure on the NHS and local authority services. I applaud Age Concern Hampshire’s staff and volunteers on their dedication and hard work to connect older residents with vital services and tackling issues caused as a consequence of isolation during the Covid19 outbreak.’
Achievements to date:
- 5,425 total calls made from March to May
- 195 Home visits
- 588.9 Hours of additional services for Adult Service Clients
- 50 hours of home / sitting visits for older people in the community.
- 5 Virtual support groups delivered
- 267 food parcels of fresh fruit and vegetables
- 214 shopping trips and deliveries
- 38 prescriptions
- 72 postal supports