LOCAL MP HIGHLIGHTS GAS SAFETY ON VISIT TO GAS SAFE REGISTER HQ

Local MP Maria Miller recently called in at the Gas Safe Register’s national headquarters, based at Jay’s Close in Viables Business Park.

Maria was welcomed by Jonathan Samuel, Chief Executive of the Gas Safe Register, and his senior team, who briefed her on their work on gas safety issues. The Gas Safe Register, which replaced CORGI as the official gas registration body for the UK in 2009, works to protect the public from unsafe gas work, by making sure that all gas engineers on the Register are qualified to work with gas and by regularly inspecting their work. They also focus on raising awareness of gas safety among consumers.

Maria said: “It was good to catch up with the Gas Safe Register team and get an update on their work, including the recent Gas Safety Week, which takes place annually in September. This is a great opportunity to raise awareness of gas safety and the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning - research shows that 46% of homes do not have a carbon monoxide alarm installed.”

“The best way to protect yourself and your family is to have your gas appliances checked every year by a Gas Safe registered engineer, and to fit an audible CO alarm.”