Local MP Maria Miller is calling for nominees to enter official NHS Parliamentary Awards 2020 in recognition of staff who have gone above and beyond the call of duty. The awards were created to celebrate NHS staff, carers and volunteers for their hard work, innovative ideas and unwavering efforts to put patients first. This year Coronavirus has been a global health emergency on a scale not seen for a century, staff present, past and future have had to come together as never before, supported by volunteers and the public.
World class staff and teams are critical to the delivery of the NHS Long Term Plan, leading improvements on major conditions including cancer, mental health and stroke, helping to make the NHS fit for the future.
Maria is searching for nominations to submit and want to hear from outstanding individuals in Basingstoke, who have innovated, impressed and made a real difference to how the health service provides care for patients.
Maria said; “There is little doubt that the NHS is the nation’s most loved institution and there can be no doubt its staff make it what it is today.
“When I hear from our local health services, I am incredibly proud of the examples of fantastic care that have made a genuine difference and touched the lives of local people in Basingstoke.
It’s absolutely right that we celebrate the work staff put into the NHS and want to hear from you about any outstanding care you have received in the last year so I can nominate our local heroes for these awards.”
Professor Jacqueline Dunkley-Bent, chair of the judging panel and England’s chief midwifery officer, said: “NHS staff and volunteers make the health service what it is today – the largest and greatest care team in the world that provides high quality care to patients throughout the year.
“The NHS Parliamentary Awards, sponsored by Fujifilm UK presents a unique opportunity for MPs to highlight the amazing work done by NHS staff in their local areas, and I look forward to working with all of the judges to review the nominations we receive.”
Maria is calling for potential nominations in the following categories
· The Excellence in Healthcare: individuals or a team who go above and beyond improving the outcomes and experiences for patients living with major health conditions or working to prevent those conditions.
· The Excellence in Mental Health Care Award, supported by Lloyds Banking Group: individuals or a team working across organisational boundaries to develop new and effective services to help people with mental health problems
· The Excellence in Urgent and Emergency Care Award: individuals or a team who have made improvements to how the NHS treats people in emergency situations.
· The Excellence in Primary Care Award supported by Assura PLC: primary care practitioner or a team working with patients to help them stay healthy in their own homes for as long as possible.
· NHS Rising Star [New for 2020]: young volunteers and members of staff (under 30) who have helped to shape, improve or deliver better services.
· The Future NHS Award: individuals or a team that has successfully trialled and embedded change to make better use of data and digital technology, provide more convenient access to services and information
· The Health Equalities Award: individuals or team that helps ensure equality throughout our lives in the care we receive. From being born in a safe environment through to dying with dignity.
· The Care and Compassion Award: Nurse, Midwife, Allied Health Professional or care staff member of any discipline and in any setting, that has used their skills to ensure that patients experience care and compassion.
· The Wellbeing at Work Award: individuals or team that has successfully trialed and embedded change(s) making the NHS a better place to work.
· The Lifetime Achievement Award: individuals who have worked within a health or care setting for 40 years or more and left a legacy.
Deadline for submissions Tuesday 25 August 2020
Maria will choose one nomination per category; these will then be judged by senior local and regional NHS experts to find champions in every part of the country in each category, to be announced in November.
For more information on how to nominate and the criteria for each category, visit https://www.england.nhs.uk/nhs-parliamentary-awards/about/