Recent archaeological finds during the construction of Great Binfields school revealed previous occupations dating back to 2000 BC. An old Anglo-Saxon settlement dating back to 600-800 AD was also discovered
Records go back to the reign of Edward the Confessor when Chineham estate formed a detached part of the Parish of Monk Sherbourne. At the time of the Doomsday Book, around 1086, Aghemund held the manor of Chineham from Hugh De Port who owned Monk Sherbourne. Adam De Port then granted the manor of Chineham to William (with permission from the Priory and Convent of Monk Sherbourne). William’s son inherited the manor from his father.
This page was produced by the Hantsweb Team.